Friday, April 22, 2011

How to Make Hair Bows

My 2 year old daughter has been blessed with lots of hair.  However, the only things she will let me put in her hair are very girlie hair bows.  I found some great hair bows at a craft show this past winter but, they were quite pricey.  I asked the woman who made them how she did it.  She explained and it seemed simple enough.  So, now that I am finally finding a bit of free time in my schedule I thought I'd give it a shot.

As always, I headed to my computer to search for tutorials on how to make hair bows.  I didn't think there would be many free ones, but luckily I was wrong.  I found some great sites that make hair bow crafts super easy.  These are the ones I keep going back to:

I'm just starting out and I wanted to test the waters before buying supplies in bulk.  So, I found everything I need to start making hair bows at my local Michael's and Sally's Beauty Supply stores (click on store name to find a location near you).  I purchased the Mini-Bowdabra at Michael's for $9.99.  It is helpful but, you can make lots of different kinds without much at all.  The basic supplies I used to get started and their estimated costs were:
  • Scissors
  • Lighter, $0.99
  • High Temp Hot Glue Gun, $3
  • Glue Sticks, free (3 came with glue gun)
  • Bow Wire, $0.99 (to tie off the bow)
  • Alligator Clips, $2-3
  • Ribbon, $1-$4 each
Hair-Hardware.com is a great website where you can buy all of your bow making supplies in bulk.  If you plan to make a business from with your bows, buying in bulk would be your best bet.  I, myself, have lots of little girls in my family with lots of demands for hair bows.  So, I plan to visit Hair-Hardware.com very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment