Friday, September 3, 2010

Toy Story Birthday Party

In August, I threw a Toy Story party for my son that turned 5.  It was super easy to put together.  I cheated with a few things and bought kits from Walmart.  This was perfect for all our guests which included 14 kids and 12 parents. 
  • Invitations
    • I got them from Walmart but, you can create your own on your computer or find some free to print online like here:  Toy Story Party Invitations
  • Decorations
    • "Ready to Play" Toy Story sign (from Walmart)
    • White and blue streamers and balloons - I used the ones I had left over from last year's birthday parties.
    • Toy Story Posters - I colored a few sheets of the large Toy Story coloring pages the kids already had.  The kids were supposed to help color but were too excited about the party to sit still long enough.  I should have planned to do it earlier than the day of the party.
  • Activities
    • Outside Play - It was a beautiful summer day and we had a new play set in our backyard. So, most of the time the kids were outside. I had a basket full of bubbles, sidewalk chalk and Frisbees for the kids to play with. I also gathered some balls and asked another parent to bring a couple of balls.  The kids had a blast.
    • Buzz Lightyear Paper Airplanes - When the afternoon summer showers rolled in, the kids came inside and colored some paper airplanes I found online on the Family Fun website. I printed an airplane for each child and put a bucket full of crayons in the middle of the table. The kids loved it.
  • Food
    • Star Shaped PB&J's-  I used a star cookie cutter (to resemble Woody's star shaped sheriff's badge) and a plastic bottle cap for the circle cut out of the top star.  (All the extra bread crusts were used at our local duck pond the next day.)  For those little ones who couldn't eat peanuts yet, I used blueberry cream cheese.
    • Little Ham/Turkey and Cheese Sandwiches - They were made with Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, white American and American cheese.  Mayo and mustard were put out beside the tray.
    • Fruit Platter - Orange slices, watermelon, grapes, strawberries and blueberries sprinkled on top with vanilla yogurt for dipping.
    • Veggie Tray - Carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes and black olives sprinkled over tray.  Dill vegetable dip in the center.
    • Toy Story Fruit Snacks
    • Goldfish - The colorful ones make it more fun and a Toy Story paper cup was used as a scoop.
  • Drinks
    •  Capri Suns, bottle waters and 2 liter sodas - We had Capri Suns kept cool in the fridge and bottled water in a cooler in the backyard.  We also had a few 2 liters of soda (mostly decaffeinated).
  • Dessert
    • Rocket Cakes - I found a 2 pan Rocket Cake kit at Walmart.  It came with Toy Story cake toppers.  I frosted the cake, put the topper on and put coordinating sprinkles along the edges. 
    • Cupcakes - Also at Walmart, I found Toy Story cupcake liners with matching toothpick toppers.
  • Goody Bags
    • Walmart has a kit for these too!  They come with 8 goody bags and 5 Toy Story goodies for each bag.  But you could easily make your own with a trip the your local dollar store.
  • Links for more Toy Story Party Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment