- Baby Wipes and Antibacterial Wipes are great for cleaning the kids hands when there isn't a sink available. Try using them for airplane seats and trays, restaurant tables and chairs and toys that may have fallen on the floor. Bonus - they don't have to be checked out by airport security like hand sanitizers.
- Baby Toy Links are perfect for keeping kids toys off the ground. Just attach one end to the toy and the other to the child's car seat. As my friend, Jenny, said, we don't have "go-go gadget arms" to pick up fallen toys. Bonus - babies love to use the links themselves as toys!
- Disposable Place Mats are great for questionable restaurant tables and airplane trays. Choose ones with patterns like race tracks and pack a couple of matchbox cars with them to keep the kids entertained.
- Dry Snacks like dried fruit, fruit snacks, pretzels, nuts, cereals, cookies and crackers keep from messy spills. Make child size portions for each child. Snack size baggies work well for older kids (those who can open and close a baggie) and small plastic bowls with lids are terrific for toddlers. If you trust that your child can pace themselves, let them have their own stash of snacks. Beware of sweet snacks. Remember, your child will stuck in a car seat for some time and won't be able to burn off the sugar.
- Sports-like Drink Bottles/ Sippy Cups help prevent spills in the car. Be sure to keep the kids well hydrated, especially on an airplane and/or if they have a lot of salty snacks. Remember, there are limits on what liquids you can take on a plane. Please visit the TSA website for more information.
- Books/Comic Books are terrific option. If your little one can't read yet, find a book with lots of bright pictures. Airport gift shops usually have lots of books to choose from. Or make a special trip out to the bookstore before your trip and let your child pick out a special book for themselves.
- Color Wonder Sets get rid of the worry that the kids with mark up the car or airplane seats while coloring. They even have light-up markers now which would be fun for a night flight or car ride.
- Video Games are great entertainment for kids. The best part, you can find educational systems now like the Leapster and V-Smile.
No matter how you travel or how many kids are with you, it can be a fun experience for everyone if you are well prepared. Happy and safe travels!